Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The Many That Take Part in Me (Quote)

"I listened, I looked and I spoke from my mind. The ancient Greeks called parrhesia: telling everything, a sort of truth telling, a fearless speech, a speech in which one will say it all. It does not matter anymore where to starts, when it is about saying everything. Everything--that does not really start somewhere and it doesn't end elsewhere. ...

"That sounds like a confession. Let's try to follow this thin line between fearless speech and pathetic confession. Actually it is not the pathos of confession that I dislike, it is the duty of confession, the institution pulling the confession out of me. What is the place for secrets in a fearless speech? So, I repeat myself, until it curves, until I get out of it. It is about how we constitute each other. It is about property and invasion, or intrusion. We depend on each other. How to learn to live together?

"I have been told I might be fooling myself. Who is this 'I' that is fooling myself? I did what I thought would be true to myself. During two years I had the intention to follow those two rules whereever they would lead me: to not spend two nights in the same place anymore and to not use any money. Of course it is about not having to work. It is about living, it is about everything that I am trying to say. But then again, how true is it to live like that for a month and to then come back to graduate? I don't know. I am repeatedly addressing to you my doubts and the limits of my understanding, of my knowledge, only because they are a function of my beliefs and my actions, the oscillation of my awareness through the gap in between the two. I feel now too big a difference between holding a speech and writing a text addressed to an absent 'you'. I wish to meet you. Again or for the first time, to discuss everything again."

PAUL GANGLOFF, Department of Haunting,
Faculty of Invisibility Papers
June 15, 2007

No comments: