Sunday, May 25, 2008

Idol

I am very lucky, I think to myself, that I can float in and out of so many lives.

"Do you feel detached?," Idol asks me when he's finally warmed up. Idol is his name, really, not just during the season. Idol is the office friend of my first love Sui, whom I am visiting and whom I am about to confess the curse of my unforgotten and unspoken firstness of love (aka The Cannot Letting Go//The Monstrosity of Inarticulateness). Idol is bald and short and lean and has piercing eyes. I make Idol sound generic -- with a name like that, perhaps metaphoric -- but really, it's all true. He is far from a trope.

SUI GENERIS. SUI GENERIC?

Idol is an undeclared Renaissance man of the UN era -- diplomat's son, extracted from Malayan land of birth after just two weeks out of the womb. New York. London. Pro surfer. "I've been in entertainment." Scuba diver. Took a long time to warm up to me. And right now in our balcony conversation, requires very little sleep.