Tuesday, June 14, 2005

"About Me"

I've been inspired by Joko's blog, which is much more user-friendly, less-pretentious (but I can't help it!! I just write like that!), more frequent (obviously -- hers is an actual blog), and looksee looksee: she actually has other friends that read it. So here's what I wanted to put in the "about me" section of my profile, so that, while avoiding the possibility of identity theft, I might seem more approachable. So here is all 1,500-odd characters of "About me", 300 hundred-odd above the profile limit, because I'm not interested right now in selling you partial-view seats.

ABOUT ME:

It's the sixth month anniversary of my starting this blog, and I am realizing that NO ONE SAVE MY MOTHER IS READING IT. So about me? To make you read me? It's evident from the writing: I am reflective and observant, accustomed as I am to outsidership, which I've both lauded myself for as intelligence and a heightened state of consciousness, as well as berated myself for as an unwillingness to take action, to participate in mainstream society and therefore, in what I perceive as the "normal" condition of happiness in the mundane. Whew. Have you had a breath yet? I've been told by a reader that one needs to take a big inhale before plunging into the Mel-deep. And I'm really not trying to impress you, at least not this way. I'd rather be cool. But this is me.

I speak too fast for most people. Some might say I'm convoluted -- I'd prefer: complex. I really enjoy all fruits, tropical in particular, so I could never be a full subscriber to the ideal macrobiotic diet. I do, however, like brown rice, and in food, most things likewise dark and textural. Lindt, 70%. Espresso. Black pepper fuckin' crab, Singapore's gracious gift to the universe and a pox on my lifelong desire to have the body of Uma Thurman.

My favorite body parts (on me) are my deltoids and my feet. And my larger left breast, but I suppose only in comparison to the little guy. My feet: they are swollen from this dirty New York heat, veiny, bruised, and bloody from dancing. They are too wide for most fashionable high-heeled shoes, and they been this way since I was twelve. I love them. They are also a little differently sized.

I was classified quite rightly by my freshman year college boyfriend as a "cultural sponge." I am actually rather squeezable. And indeed, I soak up and let go of diverse interests, languages, ways of being, for as long and as fast as my curiosity and opportunities allow. I have not a failed but rather forgotten command of French, Mandarin, and Polish - this latter is still my instinctive second tongue. But don't worry. I evidently speak English. LOTS of it.

Hey, who are you? What are you about?

ADDENDUM: CHARACTERIZATION IN MOVEMENT TERMS

Explosive
Edgy
Rhythm over melody, but melodrama above all else
Expansive in space
Trying a little too hard, too much, too soon -- a little desperate like that, a little raw, but very sincere
With developing, but not yet fully cognizant physical understanding of her body

2 comments:

Hofan Ciao 可凡 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Hofan Ciao 可凡 said...

Nooo nooo nooo Mel, you have a fan base here in Paris!

Scratch my back though: www.homei.cc/hofan

:)